Sunday, August 10, 2014

Health

Presently, Japan has over 50,000 people over the age of 100!  That is quite an accomplishment, but how do they do it?

Well, living in America for the first 46 years and living in Japan for the past year has had a great effect on my body.  I've lost somewhere near 30 pounds doing absolutely nothing.  The pants that I used to wear to work in America now look like clown pants on me and I can no longer use the belt that I had used in the US because I've run out of holes!

What could be the reason behind all of this?  Is it the fact that I'm actually walking in Japan?  It could be.  Is it the fact that Japanese meal portions are much smaller than their American counterparts?  It could be.  To be honest the largest size soda at a Japanese McDonald's is about equal to a medium in America.  Add that to the fact that sugar is not used as liberally in Japan as it is in the United States.

When my wife and I were living in the US, my wife would constantly say how the food in America is much too sweet for her.  Even food in the US that is not known for its sweetness was sweet to her.  Sugar is added to everything in America; there is even sugar added to french fries at McDonald's.

After a full year of living in Japan I can honestly say that I feel healthier and younger than I have in a long time.  Now that I've gotten so used to the portion size and taste of Japanese food, I wonder what it would be like going back to America now.

No comments:

Post a Comment